On Monday, April 13, 2020, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam announced the signing of a bill decriminalizing cannabis in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Virginia now joins 27 states that have taken these motion (with 11 states furthermore D.C. legalizing hashish, and 16, together with Virginia, now decriminalizing).
While the invoice (HB 972) to decriminalize marijuana (in conjunction with two identical expenses reconfiguring authorized definitions of cannabis and limitations on time served) passed the Virginia Property and Senate with bipartisan guidance in March 2020, Northam confronted a deadline very last weekend to indicator them into law. On Saturday, April 11, Northam signed the monthly bill, and on Sunday, April 12, he built the announcement to the state that commencing July 1, marijuana possession will no for a longer period be a felony offense.
The decriminalization invoice enacted into legislation incorporates previously payments proposed by the legislature (HB 265, HB 301, and HB 481 ) and is equivalent to the decriminalization bill SB 2
The Fundamental principles
- The law requires result on July 1, 2020.
- Fines for possession up to one particular ounce may not exceed $50. Possession under this amount will now be dealt with as a civil, not a criminal penalty (For illustration, legally in a justice course of action equivalent to a undesirable targeted visitors ticket)—and jail time may well not be incurred underneath this new regulation.
- It is not legal to have marijuana, but it is now a civil offense—not a prison a single (A dashing violation is a civil offense assault is a legal offense).
- This law applies to possession of up to a person ounce of marijuana.
- It doesn’t apply to possession around one ounce (This is interpreted as “intent to distribute” and the new civil law stipulations do not utilize).
- Marketing cannabis is neither legal nor decriminalized (possession of above just one ounce).